layton library

Show More
Show More

When Blackpool Council, a unitary authority began a programme to upgrade its library provision, the practice was appointed to extend and refurbish the branch library at Layton, which was too small to accommodate the addition of new IT services. The attractive 1930’s exterior was sympathetically extended, bringing more light into the building and with a new and more open central entrance lobby. As well as re-roofing the whole building with ‘Rosemary’ tiles to keep the character of the original, the interiors of the adult and children’s libraries were given a fresh contemporary look with new reception desk and interior finishes.  The work was carried out with framework contractor F Parkinson Ltd.