Mellor Architects were commissioned to act as architects for the conversion of Axwell Hall, a Grade 2* listed building close to Blaydon, Tyneside. The mansion, built for Sir Thomas Clavering, was completed to the design of John Paine in 1761.
The first phase of development which is now completed comprised eighteen high specification modern terraced dwellings in the original kitchen garden, together with rescue of the fabric of the Hall from the dilapidated condition into which it had fallen.
The next phase of development comprises 27 high specification dwellings arranged around a new courtyard adjacent to the Hall. To match the high quality of the hall, materials are to be to a high specification with both natural and reconstituted stone, slate roofs and high performance windows.
The final phase will comprise conversion of the Hall itself into 20 apartments. Interiors are to be memorable, with as many as possible of the major spaces preserved. The interior fit-out will use high quality materials to match the quality of the original.